A cat is being credited with alerting a family to a fire in their home early this morning. At approximately 3:30 a.m., firefighters from the Clairmont, Dunes and Sexsmith stations responded to reports of a fire in the Hamlet of Clairmont.
Firefighters worked quickly and were able to contain the fire to the underside of the
The family escaped the home without any injuries. The cause of the fire is under
“I’ve seen it happen before, not here in Clairmont, but I’ve read lots of instances where dogs and cats have alerted families to fires in their homes before. Obviously, we are preferential to making sure that all smoke detectors are working as the steadfast method for notifications of fire. It’s pretty interesting to see that it was the cat that did alert them that there was an issue,” said County of GP fire chief Trevor Grant.