A needle and two empty champagne bottles were found in the Vancouver hotel room where Glee star Cory Monteith was found dead, according to the B.C. Coroners Service final investigation that ruled his death accidental.
Monteith, 31, died of mixed drug toxicity, including intravenous heroin and alcohol, according to coroner Claire Thompson’s final report.
The Canadian actor was found dead by hotel staff when he failed to check out of his room at Vancouver’s downtown Fairmont Pacific Rim Hotel around noon on July 13. He checked in on July 6.
The report explained: “After a period of cessation from opiod drug use, previously tolerated drug concentration levels may become toxic and fatal.”
Cory was found collapsed just after noon on 13th July.
The report said: “He had checked in to the hotel on 6th July and had been expected to check out on the 13th.
“When he had not done so, hotel staff checked his room and found him unresponsive on the floor.”
The report concluded Cory had been dead for several hours: “Mr Monteith was clearly deceased and resuscitation was not attempted.”
The Glee cast will pay tribute to Cory in a special episode to air in America next week.
And at the Emmys last month, Jane Lynch – who plays Sue Sylvester in the show – paid her own special tribute to the actor.
She said: “From the first time you saw Cory, he had a star quality and genuine sweetness that made it impossible not to fall in love with him.
“Cory was a beautiful soul.
“He was not perfect.
“His death is a tragic reminder of the rapacious, senseless destruction that is brought on by addiction.”