A teacher rose the occasion when a student choked on a chicken nugget, using the Heimlich maneuver to save the girl’s life. Like many schools, lunchtime is one of the most popular periods of the day at Arts Impact Middle.
But the next time spicy chicken nuggets are on the menu, Shelby Bray will likely pass. Bray was eating on Monday when a part of a nugget became stuck in her throat. The student soon began pounding on the table and pointing at her teachers, one of whom, Peter Trautmann, jumped into action.
“I looked up, zoomed in on Shelby. Her face was beet red, one hand here, the other hand out,” Trautmann said. Trautmann was trained on the Heimlich by the school nurse, but this was the first time he put it to use. “I ran down the ramp, right to her.[I] said can you breathe?” Trautmann said. “[She] shook her head. I went behind her, put my hand on her stomach, and gave two upward thrusts.” The nugget popped out.
Trautmann said, although he goes through emergency training every year, he never thought something like this would happen. “I’m very happy with the way things worked out,” he said. “Glad I could help.”