Thursday , 17 October 2019
Home » Health » Ontario boy gets ‘bristle brush’ lodged in throat
Ontario boy gets ‘bristle brush’ lodged in throat
Ontario boy gets bristle brush lodged in throat

Ontario boy gets ‘bristle brush’ lodged in throat

A 6-year-old boy from Ontario required surgery after a bristle from a wire barbecue cleaning brush became lodged in his throat.

CBC reports Anthony Fiore took a bit of a burger in June only to feel a sharp pain. “It felt like a needle,” he says. Twelve hours later, Anthony was in surgery having a wire bristle removed from his throat. His mom, Nadia Cerelli, spoke out about the incident this week to draw attention to what is a growing problem. “I hope to have these brushes removed from the shelves, have them banned,” she says. Meanwhile, Anthony is too scared to eat anything off the grill.

Bristles coming loose from barbecue brushes then finding their way from grill to food to throat is getting to be such an issue that the Canadian Society of Otolaryngology addressed it at its annual meeting this year. “None of us have figured out a surefire way to get rid of them, so we’d prefer just to prevent it from happening in the first place,” Munchies quotes one otolaryngologist as saying. While surgeons in Canada are recommending no one use barbecue brushes with wire bristles, it’s also a problem here in the US.

One study found nearly 1,700 injuries from wire bristles in the US since 2002, the Austin American-Statesman reports. And according to CTV, researchers believe that number is an underestimate.

Agencies/Canadajournal




  • About News

    Web articles – via partners/network co-ordinators. This website and its contents are the exclusive property of ANGA Media Corporation . We appreciate your feedback and respond to every request. Please fill in the form or send us email to: [email protected]

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    *